Close this search box.

Can I choose my own doctor for a workers’ compensation claim? 

In Utah, you have the right to choose your own doctor for a workers’ compensation claim, but there are some limitations and requirements. 

When you report a workplace injury or illness, your employer or their insurance carrier may provide you with a list of designated healthcare providers. You may choose a doctor from this list, or you may choose your own doctor, as long as that doctor is licensed to practice in Utah. 

If you choose your own doctor, you must notify your employer or their insurance carrier in writing within 10 days of the first visit with the doctor. You should also provide the doctor’s name, address, and phone number. 

It is important to choose a doctor who is experienced in treating workplace injuries or illnesses, as they will be responsible for providing medical evidence to support your workers’ compensation claim. If you are not satisfied with the care you are receiving from your doctor or the doctor provided by your employer, you may be able to switch to a different doctor, but you must follow the appropriate procedures and notify your employer or their insurance carrier. You may be limited to changing providers and selecting your own doctor to one time. 

It is recommended to consult with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney if you have questions about choosing a doctor for your workers’ compensation claim or if you are experiencing difficulties with the claims process. 

Remember, this information is not a substitute for legal advice. If you have specific questions or concerns, set up free consultation with a Fillmore Spencer Attorney who has expertise in .
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest

Provo Law Office

Murray Law Office

St. George Law Office