Close this search box.

What is the difference between a work visa and a permanent residency visa?

A work visa and a permanent residency visa are two different types of visas that serve different purposes.

A work visa, such as an H-1B visa, is a nonimmigrant visa that allows a foreign national to come to the United States for a temporary period of time to work for a U.S. employer in a specific job or occupation. The length of time that a foreign national can stay in the United States on a work visa is generally limited, and the visa may be subject to renewal or extension.

On the other hand, a permanent residency visa, such as a green card, allows a foreign national to live and work in the United States permanently. Green card holders are allowed to work for any employer in the U.S. and can stay in the U.S. as long as they maintain their permanent residency status. Green card holders may also be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship after meeting certain requirements.

While a work visa is temporary and tied to a specific job or employer, a permanent residency visa provides more long-term benefits and allows for greater flexibility in terms of work and travel. However, obtaining a green card can be a more lengthy and complex process than obtaining a work visa, and may require meeting additional eligibility requirements.

Remember, this information is not a substitute for legal advice. If you have specific questions or concerns, set up free consultation with a Fillmore Spencer Attorney who has expertise in .
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest

Provo Law Office

Murray Law Office

St. George Law Office